Re: Java problem

On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 22:27 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 30 December 2007, Craig White wrote:

> >> Excellent news, Rahul.  Unforch not in time for F8, F9 maybe?
> >
> >----
> >you should have followed the links in the article which would have
> >brought you to...
> >
> >http://labs.jboss.com/community/interviews/sacha_sun.html
> >
> >which actually answers that and more
> >
> >Craig
>
> Maybe.  The pointlessness of this thread seems lost on about half the posters
> though.  Generally speaking, I'm in the same camp as Les, I just want it to
> work.  If I have to go put a virtual quarter in the meter, so be it.  All the
> political posturing in the world is of little or no use to the majority of us
> if it results in something being non-functional when it works flawlessly for
> the other 97% of the people on this planet running a windwoes install, legal
> or not.
----
evidently you have missed some of the finer points of this discussion.
First off, it wasn't Windows but rather Solaris where Sun's Java works
across the board.

Secondly, while Sun audits the code and releases the code as GPL, this
code now has a home on Fedora 8 and future Fedora & Red Hat releases.

Thirdly, Les is complaining about the GNU version of java which actually
permits all of the various software to run cross platform which may not
be significant to you but it does mean that my various Macintosh PPC's
can actually run java programs and I would be sucking wind if I was
waiting for Sun to release a version of Java that works on Fedora on a
PPC.

This more or less replicates Les' contentiousness towards GNU and GPL
license stuff because he is desperately interested in running
proprietary software without hassle and blames kernel developers, GPL
license and Red Hat / Fedora packages for the problems which come from
vendors who want to only provide binary software.

Craig