Re: Java problem

On Sunday 30 December 2007, Craig White wrote:
>On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 15:16 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> >
>> >That's because trademark does not apply to filenames. Sun doesn't
>> >consider classpath or GCJ as damage to Java in any way and has even used
>> >the same license classpath originally had for their new openjdk effort.
>> >IcedTea is a free and open source derivative of OpenJDK and included in
>> >Fedora 8 by default and Sun has continued to use that as a prototype to
>> >remove the binary encumbrances in their code. Once OpenJDK becomes
>> >completely open source, Fedora will include that by default.
>> >
>> >Besides a compatible version of Java requires signing a test suite which
>> >until recently came with onerous restrictions that has been lifted and
>> >paved the way to better compatibility.
>> >
>> >http://www.press.redhat.com/2007/11/05/red-hat-helps-advance-open-source-
>> >jav a/
>> >
>> >Rahul
>>
>> Excellent news, Rahul.  Unforch not in time for F8, F9 maybe?
>
>----
>you should have followed the links in the article which would have
>brought you to...
>
>http://labs.jboss.com/community/interviews/sacha_sun.html
>
>which actually answers that and more
>
>Craig

Maybe.  The pointlessness of this thread seems lost on about half the posters
though.  Generally speaking, I'm in the same camp as Les, I just want it to
work.  If I have to go put a virtual quarter in the meter, so be it.  All the
political posturing in the world is of little or no use to the majority of us
if it results in something being non-functional when it works flawlessly for
the other 97% of the people on this planet running a windwoes install, legal
or not.

The only way to fix it is to follow William Shakespears advice, "First we kill
all the lawyers", so the rest of us can sit down at the table and make our
case.  We both know that is not going to happen tomorrow.

Now, will somebody PLEASE put either a wooden stake or a silver bullet through
this threads heart and put it out of its misery, there are other things
besides java to be discussed.  Like what sort of political pressure can we
bring to bear on broadcom to get some decent register level specs for their
friggin radios?  That, for those of us with laptops that came with such an
abomination of an unsupported radio, is at least as important as this bit of
slanguage called java.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)