Re: Java problem

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

you can run ZFS AND not have to deal with messy GPL kernel...it's called
Open Solaris
Which can't use device drivers that have GPL restrictions - the viral
nature of the GPL has hijacked much of the work that would otherwise be
available for any use.

So, use the drivers from the hardware manufacture. The authors of
the Linux drivers have the right to decide how there work is used.

No they don't. The only way to contribute code to a GPL'd project is under the GPL.

don't hear you complaining that the Windows drivers can not be used,
but there are even more restrictive - you can not even look at the
code.

NDISwrapper sort-of, sometimes works.

Your complaints about the GPL always boil down to the fact
that the license prevents you from hijacking the code.

I'm not interested in hijacking anything. I just want to be able to use code that everyone has been given permission to use but not to redistribute in creative, usable forms. And since it can't be distributed that way, it effectively can't be used.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx