Re: how to jigdo download a fedora 8 re-spin in one easy step?

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007, Ric Moore wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-12-26 at 11:52 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> > all i'm suggesting is that it took an inordinately long time to
> > figure out what should have been a two-minute exercise.  i'm
> > guessing that, in most cases, readers aren't interested in a
> > long-winded overview of things -- they just want to know what
> > commands to run to get something done, which is all i wanted in
> > the first place.
> >
> > in short, what people might want is a fedora "cookbook" with
> > tight, concise recipes that just plain work, out of the box.  if
> > they choose to read up later on the underlying operations, then
> > that's their choice.
>
> A wonderful example of that is http://www.stanton-finley.net/ which
> is clear, concise and the content works every time and, for the most
> part, still does. Too bad he went to the Ubuntu scheme of things
> after FC5. Ric

  i will (sort of) agree with you.  yes, finley's website had/has
piles of cool advice on how to do things.  my only beef with it is
that it is simply too verbose.  here's an example -- how to install
yumex:

http://www.stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html#Yumex

  sure, that explanation is correct but, man, it's wordy.  what's
wrong with just saying:  "as root, run

  # yum -y install yumex"

 seriously, how many times do you need to be told to open a terminal
and type "su"?  yes, i realize that's being annoyingly picky, but why
take 15 lines to say what can be said just as accurately in two?

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Home page:                                         http://crashcourse.ca