Re: Java problem

Knute Johnson wrote:
On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 15:04 -0800, Knute Johnson wrote:
Actually, Sun's Java is very easy to install and configure on both 32 and 64 bit. The only real problem is the lack of a 64bit browser plugin and as far as I can tell nspluginwrapper doesn't work with the 32bit version.

I did a short page on how to set up Sun's Java on F8;

http://www.knutejohnson.com/sun-java-on-F8.html
----
I agree with the following notations...

you should probably install the compat-libstdc++-33 PRIOR to installing
the Sun JRE/JDK shouldn't you? If you do a 'yum localinstall
jre/jdk-VERSION' it will automatically install requisite packages such
as the compaat-libstdc++-33
I works if you do it after, I never tried before.

Your notations don't provide methodologies for setting
JAVA_HOME/JRE_HOME/CLASSPATH environment variables which are necessary
for virtually everything other than the java web browser plugin. This of
course was the crux of the OP - java's bin isn't installed in a users
$PATH.
If you use the JPackage none of that is required. In fact setting the CLASSPATH is almost never required in any installation.
----
docbook-XSL for xalan/xerces/fop etc. Otherwise, you have to locate them
with each call.

Probably others too...

Sorry, I have no idea what that means.

The web page doesn't cover the problem if you got jre-6u3-linux-i586-rpm.bin which is a bash file. What do you do with this

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User