Re: Simple HowTo

Ric Moore wrote:
On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 11:41 -0800, Aldo Foot wrote:
        I hope I am not off-topic, but one thing that sorta bothers
me is that many, if not *most* applications are being placed in /usr/share as if a catchall place? It seems to contain
        more
        than 50% of /usr space alone?
It seems to me, that many applications such as 'games' for
        example,
        ought to be in it's own common directory such
as /usr/(local/)games so that these (large) applications can be easily
        symlinked/mounted
        elsewhere if need be, otherwise it can be bothersome to move,
        mount,
        or symlink these otherwise potentially large applications?
I wonder what the point is of having /usr/games, /usr/local if no one seems to use these otherwise mostly empty directories? I seem to think it might be an added bonus giving the
        installer
        the choice as to where to install their application(s)?
Just wondering.

Me too. /opt appears to be not used at all. Packages like OO used to
live there, and /usr/bin is REALLY crowded nowadays since the use
of /usr/X11/bin got canceled. I'm wondering too. Ric
----
/opt is where vendor packages are normally installed, generally, but not always commercial packages, i.e. BrightStor ArcServe will install there, also, Dell's OMSA and the rpms you download from OpenOffice.org

The growth of the number of files in /usr/bin is a testimony to the vast array of software available for Fedora.

Craig