Re: Simple HowTo

I hope I am not off-topic, but one thing that sorta bothers
me is that many, if not *most* applications are being placed
in /usr/share as if a catchall place?  It seems to contain more
than 50% of /usr space alone?

It seems to me, that many applications such as 'games' for example,
ought to be in it's own common directory such as /usr/(local/)games
so that these (large) applications can be easily symlinked/mounted
elsewhere if need be, otherwise it can be bothersome to move, mount,
or symlink these otherwise potentially large applications?

I wonder what the point is of having /usr/games, /usr/local if
no one seems to use these otherwise mostly empty directories?

I seem to think it might be an added bonus giving the installer
the choice as to where to install their application(s)?

Just wondering.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

This might answer the /usr/share question:

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-4.11.html

"Any program or package which contains or requires data that doesn't need to be modified should store that data in /usr/share (or /usr/local/share, if installed locally). It is recommended that a subdirectory be used in /usr/share for this purpose.

Game data stored in /usr/share/games must be purely static data. Any modifiable files, such as score files, game play logs, and so forth, should be placed in /var/games."

~af