RE: Simple HowTo

Les Mikesell wrote:
>Subject: Re: Simple HowTo
>
>Gene Poole wrote:
>> Craig:
>> I'm not raising up against RPM packaging.  What I am
>concerned about is the
>> 'migration' to a 'C:' drive in Linux.  Let me explain:
>>    Since you aren't telling me ahead of time where and how
>much space Java,
>>    Tomcat, or Apache is going to need, I have no choice but
>to make a very
>>    large '/' (root) partition which is the same as a 'C:'
>drive.  Except
>>    with M$, I can tell it to install on the 'D:' or 'E:'
>drive if I have
>>    one.
>
>You don't need that in Linux.  If you need more space in an existing
>partition, just replace some large directory with a mount point or
>symlink to a directory where you do have some space.
>

>>    Normally, since I haven't seen much go into /usr/local or
>/opt in the
>>    past (RH8-9, FC1-4), I usually make them around 512 MB in size.
>>    But now without any warning or documentation I may need a
>/usr/local or
>>    /opt of maybe 2-GB.
>
>/opt and /usr/local are good candidates for mount points.
>
>> Les:
>> I use the standard 'sudo yum update' today without problems.
>> What I have learned is that , unless it was installed with a
>RPM package (I
>> download the Apache, Tomcat, and Java binaries as tar.gz
>packages), it
>> doesn't get updated.
>
>My question was, why?  What do you get that the RPM doesn't
>include?  In
>addition to having to maintain your own builds yourself, you will also
>be missing the RPM 'provides' that the packages supply, so if you
>attempt to install some other packages that need apache,
>tomcat, or java
>they will fail due to missing dependencies.  Java is sort-of an
>exception here in that the disto doesn't package a working Sun
>java, but
>there are jpackage-style rpms around or ways to build your own that
>supply the dependencies and set up paths correctly for you.

I hope I am not off-topic, but one thing that sorta bothers
me is that many, if not *most* applications are being placed
in /usr/share as if a catchall place?  It seems to contain more
than 50% of /usr space alone?

It seems to me, that many applications such as 'games' for example,
ought to be in it's own common directory such as /usr/(local/)games
so that these (large) applications can be easily symlinked/mounted
elsewhere if need be, otherwise it can be bothersome to move, mount,
or symlink these otherwise potentially large applications?

I wonder what the point is of having /usr/games, /usr/local if
no one seems to use these otherwise mostly empty directories?

I seem to think it might be an added bonus giving the installer
the choice as to where to install their application(s)?

Just wondering.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.