Re: Simple HowTo

On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 09:27 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 11:41 -0800, Aldo Foot wrote:
> >>         I hope I am not off-topic, but one thing that sorta bothers
> >>         me is that many, if not *most* applications are being placed
> >>         in /usr/share as if a catchall place?  It seems to contain
> >>         more
> >>         than 50% of /usr space alone?
> >>
> >>         It seems to me, that many applications such as 'games' for
> >>         example,
> >>         ought to be in it's own common directory such
> >>         as /usr/(local/)games
> >>         so that these (large) applications can be easily
> >>         symlinked/mounted
> >>         elsewhere if need be, otherwise it can be bothersome to move,
> >>         mount,
> >>         or symlink these otherwise potentially large applications?
> >>
> >>         I wonder what the point is of having /usr/games, /usr/local
> >>         if
> >>         no one seems to use these otherwise mostly empty directories?
> >>
> >>         I seem to think it might be an added bonus giving the
> >>         installer
> >>         the choice as to where to install their application(s)?
> >>
> >>         Just wondering.
> >
> > Me too. /opt appears to be not used at all. Packages like OO used to
> > live there, and /usr/bin is REALLY crowded nowadays since the use
> > of /usr/X11/bin got canceled. I'm wondering too. Ric
> ----
> /opt is where vendor packages are normally installed, generally, but not
> always commercial packages, i.e. BrightStor ArcServe will install there,
> also, Dell's OMSA and the rpms you download from OpenOffice.org
>
> The growth of the number of files in /usr/bin is a testimony to the vast
> array of software available for Fedora.

I agree, there's a ton of stuff and I'm not complaining about that,
nosiree. My comment is that the one directory looks just a little bit
full. At least with /usr/X11R6/bin it reduced the amount of traffic
in /usr/bin. If only there was a way to divvy up /usr/bin into standard
subsets, that everyone could agree on, such
as /usr/multimedia/bin, /usr/games/bin and so forth. It's a thought. Nor
would it be a huge deal to do. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar