Re: F8 install failure again & again

On 2007/12/18 22:50 (GMT-0800) Tod Merley apparently typed:

> On Dec 18, 2007 7:11 PM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx> wrote:

>> I've tried more things. I burned the live KDE CD, and the 815 boots from it.
>> However, I'm not really sure how it can help. I tried chroot to the installed
>> partition with it, and tried to install MC, but rpm gave errors about corrupt
>> DB, and rpm --rebuilddb failed too.

> Why do you use a chrooted environment to do an install?

I don't. Chroot is used to attempt to repair or diagnose a faulty installation.

> I have never
> yet done an FTP or HTTP install so I really do not understand what you
> are doing.

Trying to get F8 to work on a system that has 12 other operating systems on
it that all work just fine, including F7.

> Does the KDE Live CD have an install program on it's Desktop?  What
> happens if you use that?

It crashed shortly after telling it to proceed. The details I've forgotten
already, but the logs are here:
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/tmp/anacdump-gx150-f8-live1.txt
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/tmp/anaconda-gx150-f8-live1.txt

Just as well, since that process requires formatting /, screwing up my
preformatting with appropriate blocksize the installer doesn't permit me to
choose.

Since that disaster, I've cloned the F7 installation to the F8 target. I
first tried apt-get dist-upgrade, which downloaded 772 packages, installed 7
of them, then segfaulted, leaving the rpm db corrupted. Cleaning that mess up
took a while. Dist upgrade using yum did the same thing after processing
about 30 packages.
--
"   Our Constitution was made only for a moral
and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409