Re: F8 install failure again & again

On Dec 18, 2007 12:53 PM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2007/12/18 01:55 (GMT-0500) Felix Miata apparently typed:
>
> > I replaced the HD and installed again (try ~#8). Boot still halts after:

> > sd 1:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI disk
> > scsi 1:0:1:0: CD-ROM ......
> > Waiting for driver initialization.
> > noresume passed, not resuming...
> > Creating root device.
> > Mounting root filesystem.
>
> > Other than trying rawhide, I'm really out of ideas now. :-(
>
> I came up with more ideas.
>
> 1-I removed the cable from the primary IDE port on the motherboard, leaving
> the target disk as the only disk in the system, then installed. Same failure.
>
> 2-I tried moving the cable from the secondary IDE port to the primary IDE
> port. Same failure.
>
> 3-I tried moving the disk to a different system, i845G instead of i815. Same
> failure.
>
> 4-I tried installing again on the same disk and i845G. Same failure!!! O_O
>
> --
> "   Our Constitution was made only for a moral
> and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to
> the government of any other."         John Adams
>
>  Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
>
> Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/
>
> --

Hi Felix Miata!

Really, I started to monitor this thread to learn about
troubleshooting an install.  I have learned much.  You have obviously
been around this for a long time.

Probably you have checked all the things I have mentioned or will
mention.  Still, it is easy to get distracted when things do not work
so - a couple of things:

1. From what you wrote you get the same results using the same disk on
several systems.    Most of the warnings in the log concern things not
found and then trouble mounting the disks, partitions, etc.. Time to
confirm the CD or DVD you are using (md5sum or whatever).  You might
also try some different brand CDs or different writers and/or readers.

2. By all means google the disk brand / model with Linux and or Fedora 8.

3. In your CMOS utility look for parameters which relate to how the
disk is "talked" to.  Change it from what is probably "auto" to your
best guess made by reading your disk service manual.  If there are
delay parameters which appear to relate to disk communication you
might consider changing them as well.  Make only one change at a time
then consider carefully if you want to try a couple at once.  Use a
notebook and document each step.

Good Hunting!

Tod