Re: 3D Support for NVIDIA

> Dean S. Messing writes:
>

>> Sam Varshavchik:
>> <snip>
>> : If you want hardware-accelerated 3D, yes. Or, you'll have to install
>> : Nvidia's binary blobs. But if you do that, and if afterwards you have
>> : problems with the kernel crashing, you'll have to remove Nvidia's
>> non-free
>> : drivers, and reproduce the problem without them, before anyone will
>> help
>> : you.
>> <snip>
>>
>> Nonsense.
>>
>> I've run nothing but nvidia's binary drivers for the past 5 years
>> under SuSE, Mandrake, and now Fedora and received all kinds of help.
>
> Good for you.
>
> Sadly, not everyone is as fortunate, or as lucky, as you are. A Google
> search will uncover plenty of horror stories of bricked x.org or kernels.
>
> If you take a roll of the dice and it works, great. If not, you're boned.

I have had problems in the past and never bricked a kernel or an
xorg.conf. Even if the module does not load correctly, most distros leave
more than one kernel available to boot from.  If the xorg.conf file gets
corrupted, you can rebuild it for generic settings (or have a backup)
quite easily. Most distros will give you the option of rebuilding
xorg.conf from current values if they don't load.  (I have used this when
my laptop forgets what my synaptics touchpad is and refuses to launch X
because of it.)

Scare stories are less scary when you actually know how to recover from
disaster instead of just saying "your boned".