Re: 3D Support for NVIDIA

Karl Larsen wrote:
Sam Varshavchik wrote:

If you want hardware-accelerated 3D, yes. Or, you'll have to install Nvidia's binary blobs. But if you do that, and if afterwards you have problems with the kernel crashing, you'll have to remove Nvidia's non-free drivers, and reproduce the problem without them, before anyone will help you.

Yes. I've been watching this situation, for the last couple of years, with some amusement.

You Fedora rooters seem to forget that Nvidia unlike many other
                ^^^^^^^ ?

hardware builders DOES provide a "DRIVER" for Windows, not a surprise, but also for Linux! I know your trying to get a thing set up so you can yum Nvidia. It is not working well.

Unlike Intel for instance[1]?  I'm not sure what you mean by the yum
nvidia statement.  As things stand Fedora will not be providing an
nvidia module rpm (nouveau may eventually change that) and both
Freshrpms and Livna do provide RPMS (using two different mechanisms).
So, depending on your point of view, there is either current 'yum
nvidia' support or there's no intention of providing it any time soon.

In the mean time you can and I did get the software made by Nvidia for Linux and yes, I must run it every time I accept a kernel change. This takes about 5 minutes.

Both the Livna and Freshrpms packages have ways of dealing with
kernel updates (personally I prefer the DKMS approach because it
results in zero user intervention).  They also have the added
advantage that you can easily uninstall them if you want to
investigate a kernel bug for an unrelated module.

[1] Before anyone snaps, Intel provide OSS Linux drivers for much of
    their hardware.  The last time I installed Fedora I had wireless
    and hardware 3D support out of the box.  It's a pity they still
    only make onboard graphics controllers as I don't need NVidia
    performance.

--
imalone