Re: Incredible F8 updates : DEFEAT & CAVEAT

Beartooth Sciurivore wrote:
On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 15:30:21 -0500, Robert L Cochran wrote:

Why not just do a clean install of Fedora and be happy with the yum
update defaults? Don't change them if doing so will cause you such
distress. They work most of the time (although Fedora 8 seems to have a
yum-updatesd issue that you can fix by turning it off in chkconfig,
rebooting the machine, and then doing a manual 'yum update' from the
command line.

Because, as I keep saying, I run pirut. Repeatedly. There are a lot of things -- like *all* games, *all* chat software, and anything connected with television -- which I don't want, and which yum won't remove. There are also a few that I do run, but either can't get from yum, or know the names of only well enough to recognize them when I see them. Pirut lets me make those changes.

I have loads of software installed that I will never use, or will use only rarely. Some of these packages are needed by other packages that I do use. To me it is a "so what?" thing -- disk space is mighty cheap and the software isn't hurting me by being there unused. I just focus on the things I really want to do and I don't worry about the rest as long as it doesn't pester me and it doesn't interfere with my own work. For instance I have Ekiga and Internet Messenger installed. They are fine just being there. I don't have to use them -- they do not stop me from working with MySQL in any way which does interest me.

I don't know if installfests are done any more -- but attending one and talking to the folks who do them can be worth every minute of your time since they have great expertise in Fedora and its tools. I could benefit from such a trip myself.

Bob