Re: Incredible F8 updates : DEFEAT & CAVEAT

Beartooth wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 14:35:59 +0000, I Beartooth wrote:
>

>> On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 15:10:34 -0700, Ben Brown wrote:
>>

>>> It sounds to me like you've enabled the development repos. Was that
>>> intentional?
>>>
>> 	Bless you, SIR! It was most certainly NOT intentional; I do at
>> least know better than that ...
>>

> [snipperoo]
>

> 	So you get in the habit, as I have for years now, when running
> pirut, of going through the -devel options. No harm has ever come of
> that, afaik, at least to me.
>
> 	So pirut's sudden offer of development *repos* waves no red flag
> -- and you later render your whole OS unusable, at least by anyone *not*
> a developer.

Installing the -devel packages only installs the libraries necessary for
development (compiling your own software) and will do no harm other than
take extra disk space. Using the development yum repos will install rpm
packages that are still in development and can cause harm due to bugs,
conflicts, etc.

I would suggest sticking with the updates and possibly updates-testing
(if you need new releases) repos. I would only use the development repos
if you require the latest of the latest on a few specific packages. Even
then, I would not include them in yum; preferring instead to download
packages manually on an individual basis.

-B