Re: Incredible F8 updates : DEFEAT & CAVEAT

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 10:47:58 -0500, David Boles wrote:

> The default Fedora install gives you Fedora (Everything) and Fedora
> Updates enabled. All others default to disabled.
>
> In order to use the other repos, any of them, *you* had to *enable*
> them. Which can be done by root in a text editor or one of several GUIs
> provided by Fedora.

	It's not a question of the install but of updating adding and
removing; nor of fault, but of precautions. My point was that one of
those GUIs is new, and effectively pushes itself on the unwary.

	<sigh> I'm not the first nor the only one here to find it's
always the point the writer took to be most obvious which somehow fails
to get across. Let me try again.

	The new pirut version *forces* me to do *something* -- until I
get rid of that default to medium, pirut will fail me.

	Yet pirut's virtue is to update in greater detail than yum.
Remember that pirut is a *second* step -- the one *after* running yum
update -- certainly for me, and likely for many if not most. I gave
examples.

	So when I invoke pirut for the very first time after an install
-- a fresh install -- there are already things on the machine that were
not on the medium, or were less up to date, or both.

	But pirut calls for my install medium again! To get it not to, I
get a new and uncommented list of choices.

	I have to make *some* choices. So I try some. *One* of them, not
there before and without warning, trashes my system -- just as
effectively as the things anaconda warns against, such as doing a fresh
install -- and I had no way of knowing it could be *that* bad, except the
hard way.