Re: NTP fails synchronization with server at startup

Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 17:04 -0700, Craig White wrote:
>> OK normal setup would have NetworkManager start at 98 which of course
>> would be after ntpd (and most every other network service)
>
> Seems a rather bad way to organise the starting order, not having a
> network ready before services that need to use a network.

I am working on my first cup of coffee, so I may be way off base,
but isn't NetworkManager designed to manage connections when a user
logs in? My thinking is the late start is because the programmers
figured that it would not have anything to do until the user logs
in, and unlocks the "key vault" so that the wireless encryptions are
available. In this case, might it work better to use the network
service instead of NetworkManager to bring up the network? This may
be why NetworkManager runs in run level 5, and network runs in run
level 3?

Note: I am writing this from a FC6 box, so I can not double check
the service names/startup time in F8. Would someone please double
check this?

Mikkel