Re: NTP fails synchronization with server at startup

On Wednesday 05 December 2007 22:05, Paul Smith wrote:
> On Dec 5, 2007 5:17 PM, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Another thing. Are you sure that ntp isn't doing it's stuff, even though
> > the bootup shows a fail. Before you do the ntpd restart, run the
> > following as user.
> >
> > /usr/sbin/ntpq
> > then type pe, which will give you some info on which servers ntp is
> > trying to connect to, and how successfull it is being. You can keep
> > typing pe at intervals, which will show ntp's progress at reaching a
> > point where a time server is being used as a "sys peer". The server being
> > used will be prefixed by a "*". Other useable servers will be prefixed by
> > a "+" "candidat". To quit ntpq type q.
>
> Thanks, Nigel. In fact,
> # /usr/sbin/ntpq
> ntpq> pe
> No association ID's returned
> ntpq> pe
>      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset
> jitter
>=== clock-a.develoo 192.12.19.20     2 u   28   64    3  190.143  438.261
> 9.311 ntpq>

Well it appears to have a connection to the timeserver here, and often takes a
while before the timeserver is accepted as a system peer. Then an "*" will
appear before clock-a.develoo. Your reach is showing as 3, and will gradually
progress until it reaches 377, but this can take some time.

> i.e., when I run pe after a while, I get the above, but the first time
> I run pe, I get
>
> 'No association ID's returned'

That usually indicates that ntp cannot contact the timeserver, no network
connection, or the timeserver is not accessable.

> Can I be sure that ntp is running now and synchronizing with a ntp server?

It appears to be running, but I think you have a problem in only having one
timeserver available.

> Paul

Paul. I'd still suggest that you add more timeservers to your /etc/ntp.conf.
Try the 3 that I am using. I know they are not the closest to you, but they
have been reliable for me. As I mentioned earlier, make sure that everything
in /etc/ntp.conf is commented out, except the driftfile line, comment out
also your present server, and add the ones I've listed below. Save the
changes, restart the ntp daemon, and rerun /usr/sbin/ntpq. Type pe every
minute or so, and see how it progresses.

server ntp.obspm.fr
server ntp.kamino.fr
server ntp2.belbone.be

Is this just the one machine you have connected to the Internet, or are you on
a LAN with other machines that are also using ntp to get their time from
Internet timeservers?

Nigel.