Re: NTP fails synchronization with server at startup

Tim:
>> Seems a rather bad way to organise the starting order, not having a
>> network ready before services that need to use a network.

Mikkel L. Ellertson:
> I am working on my first cup of coffee, so I may be way off base,
> but isn't NetworkManager designed to manage connections when a user
> logs in?

It's an example of yet another case where network manager is only
suitable for some users.  On the other side of the coin - in some cases
you'll need name resolution working, through a DNS server not hosts
file, before you even start X or a window manager.  If you have
bookmarks or desktop links to NFS served directories Gnome will take
forever to start up if it cannot access them, if it even will start up.

Sure, it has its uses.  But I'd rate it as a poor default configuration.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.