Re: Fedora 8: X/Nautilus eating CPU

Hello Tod,

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 03:43:46 -0800 "Tod Merley" <todbot88@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2007 1:39 AM, wwp <subscript@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Tod, all,
> >

> > On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 18:49:29 +0100 wwp <subscript@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> > > gtweakui (unchecked "Use nautilus to draw desktop") and the problem
> > > doesn't show anymore (re-enabled and it shows again).
> >
> > Oh, noo, I thought I've won the fight but I didn't. If navigating the
> > Desktop and switching between workspace is way faster/smoother when
> > Nautilus is disabled (as comfortable as within XFCE in fact), it
> > appears that I can reproduce the periodical short hangs now again.
> > System is running for more than 48h now, and I got the short hangs this
> > morning whereas I didn't yesterday evening after few hours running w/o
> > Nautilus.
> >
> > I've unplugged as much hardware I could (all USB disks) and quit quite
> > all applications too (X, gnome panel and applets remain, and my MUA),
> > but it's still there.
> >
> > I'm afraid I don't know where to look, and what to look for. Tod, you
> > suggested checking for resource conflicts, how to know if resources are
> > conflicting from the output of lspci for instance?
> >

> Hi again wwp!
>
> It yields a lot of information about what is there.  Sometimes you
> find that things are competing for the same memory address space or
> non-shareable IRQs .. etc.  You also have information about what you
> have that is very helpful in Google searches.
>
> I was thinking you may be using an older machine.  You have a very nice machine.
>
> That understood I fall back to wondering if there are known problems
> with your chip set, especially in respect to your hard drive and video
> card. I note with interest that your video driver falls back to pci
> mode rather than pcie (see: man radeon)  You may do well to look into
> a new video driver (Google "Linux Ati X600 driver").  You may look
> into whether a CMOS update is available.
>
> Other than that, the problem seems to be related to the unit being on
> for a long time?  If so, look for possible overheating (CPU
> temperature, airflow restricted by wiring, long carpet, bad fan motor
> or fan control SW...).  If still nothing, look into possible AC power
> problems or computer battery problems.  You will probably solve the
> problem long before you get to this paragraph.

Dell D810 laptop. Sensors show nothing special and fans work fine
according to my eyes and ears. Hardware just works fine apparently. And
if I swap the internal hard-disk to the one on which my old FC5 system
is used, I can't get the periodical short hangs (tried for a couple of
hours).

The symptom doesn't seem to be sensitive to CPU or memory loading. But
of course it's not easy to diagnose, as I've upgraded the hardware
memory modules, changed disk and installed F8 from scratch at the same
time.

I'll use another video driver to see (fglrx or X600 as suggested). Will
get back when I have something new!

Regards,

--
wwp