Re: unsubscribe

Tim wrote:
Craig White:
aussie aussie aussie
oy oy oy

Tim:
I never head that childish chant before until we had some soldiers doing
some sort of rescue mission overseas.  It's not a part of *our* culture.

Alan Cox:
Its a very old part of Australian culture, one that came over with
'cousin Jack' (the tin miners from Cornwall). So old nobody is entirely
sure of its origin although the most credible one seems to be from Oggie
(Kernowek: Hoggan) for a Cornish Pastie (Oggie oggie oggie! being shouted
down a mine to indicate lunch arriving).

Must be regional then, I've *NEVER* heard it before then, in South
Australia.

I gather it got some airing at the Sydney games. I've not been to a sporting event for some tens of decades, the last I can recall was cricket in Canberra, where I sat near John Grey Gorton.

Nor do I watch TV, but I certainly knew of it. Seems to have become popular with the Young Generation.

... What's that skip?  He's broken a leg?  You fly the chopper and I'll
drive over with the first aid kit...

For the rest of the world, John Gorton was a WWII fighter pilot, got shot down and took some facial injuries, and looked like it. He was promoted to leadership of the Liberals while in the Senate when H Holt took his last swim, was deftly switched to the House of Reps and so to PM. He further distinguished himself by voting against himself in a motion of bo confidence in the party room, allowing Billy McMahon to lead the coalition to an election lost to the "It's Time" Labor lead by E G Whitlam.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait