Re: unsubscribe

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 21:22:01 +1030
Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 16:36 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > aussie aussie aussie
> > oy oy oy
>
> I never head that childish chant before until we had some soldiers doing
> some sort of rescue mission overseas.  It's not a part of *our* culture.

Its a very old part of Australian culture, one that came over with
'cousin Jack' (the tin miners from Cornwall). So old nobody is entirely
sure of its origin although the most credible one seems to be from Oggie
(Kernowek: Hoggan) for a Cornish Pastie (Oggie oggie oggie! being shouted
down a mine to indicate lunch arriving).

Somewhere along the way someone turned it from "Oggie" into "Aussie"
for .au spots [ab]use.

Alan