Re: unsubscribe

Tim wrote:
Tim:
Good grief, it's bloody obvious if you apply a tiny amount of thought to
it.  How stupid does one have to be to not realise that someone who
doesn't identify themselves does not want to be identified?

John Summerfield:
Calm down Tim; if you didn't want to be identified, you've made several mistakes, the most recent biting when I suggested the localhost name. All _I_ knew for certain was where your email entered the Internet.

I'm only mildly annoyed.  I'm more surprised, than anything else, that
you'd do something so daft.

I make a trivial effort to remain relatively anonymous, and avoid the
usual spam harvesters.  It doesn't stop those who know what they're
doing from working things out, but I'd expect that such people would
know better than to do what you did.

The email address I suggested is unusable outside your mail server. See what the host IP address is. That was the key point to my suggestion.

I do use my real name, just not all of it.  E-mail addresses, the user
account name part (left of the @ sign), are not names.  Or should we
call you "Debian"?

Please yourself, spammers did. I actually created that address to use in connexion with the taroon beta, to protect my more usual email addresses from spammers.

On other mailing lists, where I had decided to let people contact me, I
had an e-mail address beginning with "sir".  At least it forced a bit of
manners on to address harvesting spammers, such junk mail came addressed
to me as "dear sir".  ;-)  'twas nothing more than a private joke,
though.

<->

Consider yourself privileged, Debby, ;-) that I let strangers refer to
me by my first name, rather than sir, or mister in front of my surname.

From my viewpoint, how would you describe your attitude now?

It's called paying someone out for doing two things as daft as you did.
Not respecting anonymity, then going on to talk to me about using
pseudonyms when I was already using my real name, and not using any
pseudonyms.  If you'd looked a bit harder, you'd have noticed those
points.

It's perfectly possible that you've overlooked something, maybe that the email address I used is unusable, though it's in your power to change that when you need to receive its email to subscribe to a list.

If I was going to flame you, I'd be far more scathing.

That would reflect more on you than on me. To illustrate, Malcolm Turnbull's assertion we should have signed the Kyoto agreement has, I'm sure, offended more people than it's pleased. Assuming he wins today's vote, he could subsequently agree with the new government's decision to sign it, there's no need for any particular comment or criticism on previous leadership.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait