Re: F8 - upgrading impossible

Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-11-11 at 11:35 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> As far as I can remember, Linux has always used /mnt/<directory>
>> instead of using /mnt directory for mounting things.
>
> Since the term "traditionally" was used, I was thinking more along the
> lines that "traditionally *ix-like systems did this..." as opposed to
> "Fedora does that...", seeing as Fedora is so young it's a bit strange
> to use the word "traditionally" with it.  ;-)

That is why I used Linux, and not Fedora. My Linux usage predates
Fedora by a year or two. :) (There is still an RPM or two for Redhat
4.x with my Exec PC e-mail address on it floating around. I started
with Slackware.) My recollections of "traditionally *ix-like
systems, on the other hand, are a bit fuzzy. But I thought that they
used /mnt the same way. I will leave it to someone with clearer
memories to verify that. (I remember using them in the late 60's,
early 70', but I didn't administer them.)

> Going back further into the thread.  Yes, /mnt *can* be used directly.
> But, as always, when you *can* do something, doesn't mean that's the
> only way of doing it, and that it *can* affect what else you're doing
> with it.  *Of* *course* using /mnt directly will usurp anything mounted
> onto a sub-directory in it, beforehand.  But I thought that was as
> obvious as "it'll hurt if I hit my thumb with a hammer"...   ;-)

You would think so, but I have seen too many people do it, so I
guess it isn't. It appears like there are a lot of people that do
not understand what happens when you use a directory as a mount
point. At least that is what I gather when I hear people being
surprised by things like the permissions of the directory being
changed when it is used as a mount point, and going back to the
original permissions when it is no longer being used as a mount
point. Then again, some things I can understand people being
confused about. Like the fact that if you have a file open in the
directory before you use it as a mount point, you can still access
that file as long as you do not close it. But if you are editing
that file, where it will end up when you save it depends on the
editor used, how it is configured, and the permissions of the file
system mounted on the directory. You may not be able to save it the
editor saves a new copy of the file, and then renames/unlinks the
original file, and you do not have write permission on the mounted
file system. Then again, if you do have write permission, you may
wonder what happened to your file when the file system is unmounted.
Depending on exactly how the program did things, you may find your
original file in the directory, and your changed one in the file
system that was mounted there.

Mikkel