Re: F8 - upgrading impossible

Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-11-10 at 23:38 -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:
>> I believe the /mnt directory cannot be used directly though I know of
>> no reason it would be excluded from direct usage. I always created a
>> directory sub to /mnt because of traditional usage of /mnt.
>
> Going from what I've read, what you've described is the opposite of the
> traditional use of /mnt.  Traditional usage being to mount a whole
> drive, or partition, directly onto /mnt.
>
> Either way should work, anyway.

As far as I can remember, Linux has always used /mnt/<directory>
instead of using /mnt directory for mounting things. More recently,
the mount points used have been split. Things that are mounted by
HAL are mounted on /media/<directory> with <directory> being
created/deleted as required by HAL. /mnt/<directory> is usually
reserved for temporary mounts that are listed in /etc/fstab, or are
mounted from the command line using the mount command. I normally
have a couple of mount points in there for things like loop-mounting
.iso images. Before the widespread use of HAL, and the use of
automount, it was standard to have /mnt/floppy, and /mnt/cdrom.

If you have directories in /mnt, you will lose the use of them if
you mount something on /mnt. You will also find that most rescue CDs
warn you NOT to mount anything on /mnt, but to create a mount point
in /mnt and use that. I am not sure about the current live CDs, but
in the past, they have also had this warning.

Mikkel