Re: Fedora May Be Killing Your Laptop's Hard Drive?

> On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 10:08 +0000, Andy Green wrote:
>> # hdparm -B 192 /dev/sda
>>
>> for a similar Toshiba drive to mine, and sure enough it stops the
>> Load_Cycle count cranking up here along with the clicking I have
>> suddenly become extremely sensitized to.
>>
>> Apparently you should stick it in /etc/rc.local to make it stick.
>
> I did get around to doing that, quite a while ago.  But I set it at 255,
> to turn it off completely.  Though, it doesn't accept that, and the
> value reads back as set at 254 (and disabled).  Anyway, it did the trick
> of stopping the drive clunking off every few seconds.

Great.

> However, that only solves the problem on a system that's booted up.  If
> I wake a computer up from hibernation, rc.local isn't executed, and the
> drive comes up with its default bad values.  Is there a similar script
> that's run after de-hibernation?  (Suspend to disk, in this case.)

/etc/pm/hooks/

seems to be a place that is like /etc/init.d but for suspend and resume
-- I guess the same for Hibernate.  For example I have one guy in there
called "99resolution" I see:

#!/bin/sh

case "$1" in
        thaw|resume)
                { /sbin/service 915resolution start ; } 2>/dev/null
                ;;
        *)
                ;;
esac

exit $?

It's pretty clear that copying that into a file
"/etc/pm/hooks/50stophddclick" and replacing the { /sbin/service...null
 part with

hdparm -B 192 /dev/sda

or 254 or whatever your magic number was would be a good bet for getting
run on resume or "thaw"... I guess that is specifically what it is run
with when coming out of hibernate.

-Andy