Re: F8 - upgrading impossible

lördagen den 10 november 2007 skrev Marcel Janssen:
> It seems the only way to upgrade is via yum.
>
> http://www.ioncannon.net/system-administration/133/upgrading-from-fedora-7-to-fedora-8-with-yum/
>
> One of my 7 systems is running this upgrade now. If successful I'll try the
> other systems as well. It's just killing a lot of bandwidth...

I managed to make use of the DVD image I had downloaded even though I had to
resort to upgrading via Yum. I wrote the file /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-iso.repo
like this:

[fedora ISO]
name=Fedora ISO $releasever - $basearch
baseurl=file:///urrrrk/
metadata_expire=-1
cost=500
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY

Yum will then not download a package if it's available on the DVD image, so
most of the data for this upgrade was downloaded through Bittorrent.

For some deranged reason Yum complained when the DVD image was mounted
on /mnt, claiming that pretty much every package required 8 kB of space on
"the /mnt filesystem", so I created a new directory (called /urrrrk) and
mounted the image there.

I had to remove a few packages to make Yum happy, so it's quite possible that
Anaconda could have worked once those packages were gone, but with this
method I can at least see *which* packages cause trouble, and it saves a lot
of rebooting :-)

Björn Persson