Re: nvidia

Craig White wrote:
On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 13:22 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
Craig White wrote:

The relevance is that the Linux faithful like to regurgitate the lines about how stable interfaces and binary drivers can't work when in fact they work just fine and the majority of the world runs on them taking advantage of the vendor's expertise and desire for a competitive advantage. Just a reality check...
They do?
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp puts Linux at 3%. Somewhere I thought I saw that current sales were around 8% Mac compared to the overall 3.8% though.
----
those numbers just don't look right. I refuse to believe that Win98 is
and has been under 1% and Vista is so small.
Vista has not been well accepted at the enterprise level. Something about changing driver interfaces, perhaps... Microsoft has been forced to extend their support for XP and Dell continues to offer it.

As for Macintosh sales being 8%, I haven't seen any such report...that
would be a significant increase.
It is significant. They are up 34% this quarter from a year ago with the PC market only growing at about 15%
http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9801997-37.html
And with Leopard they are officially Posix compliant and UNIX 03 registered. And they have dtrace.
----
34% increase in Apple bluster. Article was about iPhones/iPods

Quote:
 "Mac shipments were up 34 percent compared to last year"

Nothing there suggested any Apple percentage of total desktop sales

Quote:
"It's also clear that Apple is gaining share on the rest of the PC industry. Last week IDC and Gartner had the worldwide PC market growing at around 15 percent, while Mac shipments are growing more than twice as fast. Apple sold 2.1 million Macs during the quarter, a company record and 400,000 units better than its previous best"

I wonder how much device driver breakage there is with Leopard. ;-)

I haven't heard of any so far. And keep in mind that the same thing runs on both PPC and intel processors, unlike anything else.

In
fact, I have not considered any Apple OSX to be what I would call a
stable environment, I actually refer to it as permanent beta.

I haven't had anything break in several years (longer if you count a g3 powermac at work). And I'm good at breaking things.

Not to mention the Apple Tax so you can pay for an OS when you already
have an OS.

Can't argue with that, but the family pack at $199 for 5 licenses isn't that bad and a reasonable tradeoff for things that "just work". How much is it for one RHEL these days? Plus it is worth something to be able to legally play dvd's and mp3s.

Finally, I got my mailing from Tidbits and it seems that all is
definitely not rosy with Leopard

I haven't updated yet but so far I haven't heard of any showstoppers. zfs didn't make it in though, which is a little disappointing.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx