Re: nvidia

Andy Green wrote:

The issue is theoretical at best.  In the unlikely event that access to
a video card breaks due to undiscovered bugs in the original _and_
vendor refusal to fix it, I'd expect it to be cheaper to either replace
Linux or the card than to hire an expert to temporarily revive the
now-dead combination.

Well whatever your other complaints, I really don't think you take into
account the developer suffering that happens from the unsupported
reverse engineering aspect that is often part of the drivers.

Not only do I not take it into account, I can't understand why anyone thinks this is desirable compared to using drivers written and maintained by the engineers that build the hardware and have the test equipment to diagnose it.

More than that though I myself have taken advantage of a kernel driver
blowing a panic to look through the source and fix the problem, and send
a patch describing and fixing to problem, which was accepted.

Again, this doesn't sound like a desirable scenario compared to using something that already works.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx