Re: nvidia

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> >> I find this an astonishing assertion. Surely the Linux kernel
> >> interface changes reasonably often?
> >
> > um ... no.  the kernel *internal* interfaces may change, but the
> > interface that is presented to the outside world is very stable.
> >
> > http://lxr.linux.no/source/Documentation/stable_api_nonsense.txt
>
> Did you actually read this article that you quoted?
> ------------------------------
> You think you want a stable kernel interface, but you really do not, and
> you don't even know it.  What you want is a stable running driver, and
> you get that only if your driver is in the main kernel tree.
> ------------------------------
>
> As I understand it, this discussion is about drivers
> that are _not_ in the main kernel tree.
>
> I quite often compile the orinoco_usb module,
> which is not in the kernel tree,
> and quite recent versions of this fail to compile with new kernels
> (eg 2.6.23 as compared with 2.6.20).

if you read my earlier post, i very explicitly mentioned that i was
discussing in-tree drivers.  if you insist on keeping your driver out
of tree, then *of course* you'll run into trouble when internal kernel
interfaces change.  did you expect anything different?

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca