Re: nvidia

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

As I understand it, this discussion is about drivers
that are _not_ in the main kernel tree.

I quite often compile the orinoco_usb module,
which is not in the kernel tree,
and quite recent versions of this fail to compile with new kernels
(eg 2.6.23 as compared with 2.6.20).

if you read my earlier post, i very explicitly mentioned that i was
discussing in-tree drivers.

A curious thing, given that the discussion is about the things not supported in-tree - or badly supported.

if you insist on keeping your driver out
of tree,

It's not 'my' driver in or out of the tree. I just want to be able to use the hardware and additional software of my choice.

then *of course* you'll run into trouble when internal kernel
interfaces change.  did you expect anything different?

Yes, I did expect something different, given Linus's initial acceptance of proprietary kernel modules. I thought his initial refusal to freeze an interface was simply based on inexperience and that eventually he would be able to design something permanent. Obviously I was mistaken or mislead.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx