Re: IMAPS and/or openssl problem

Timothy Murphy wrote:

>> Another more exotic workaround would be, on your local machine
>>
>> ssh root@myserver -N -L993:localhost:993
>>
>> while this runs, 993 (the first number) on your local client box will
>> magically be an encrypted wormhole to port 993 on myserver.  Try running
>> that in one terminal session, and temporarily alter kmail to go look at
>> localhost for IMAP instead of myserver.

I tried this, but I don't think I was allowed to do it:
------------------------------------
[tim@martha ~]$ sudo ssh root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -p2001 -N -L993:localhost:993
The authenticity of host '[www.gayleard.com]:2001 ([86.43.71.228]:2001)'
can't be established.
RSA key fingerprint is ....
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added '[www.gayleard.com]:2001,[86.43.71.228]:2001'
(RSA) to the list of known hosts.
root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx's password:
Permission denied, please try again.
root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx's password:

However, I went ahead and changed the IMAPS server in kmail on my laptop
to localhost;
this gave the error
"The server certificate failed the authenticity test (localhost)."

I wonder if I could have a problem with my dovecot certs?
I'll re-create them and see if that is any better.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366