Re: IMAPS and/or openssl problem

Mark C. Allman wrote:

>> I'm trying to access my IMAPS (dovecot) server on my laptop
>> while on holiday.
>> But when I run kmail I get the message
>> "Could not connect to host <myserver>".
>> Both server and laptop are running Fedora 7 + KDE.
>>
>> I suspect the problem lies in my openssl setup,
>> as when I run
>> openssl s_client -ssl2 -crlf -host <myserver> -port 993
>> I get no response - the program just waits until I press ctrl-C.
>> Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

> May be a dumb questions, but ... port 993 is open on the server (it's in
> iptables, for example)?  Can you telnet to port 993 on the server and
> get some kind of response?

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I am running shorewall, and have
        IMAPS/ACCEPT    net             $FW
in /etc/shorewall/rules .

When I run
        telnet <myserver> 993
I just get
        Trying <server IP address>
and nothing further, until I type ctrl-C.
Maybe it would time out if I left it long enough.

(With almost any other port, I get an immediate "Connection refused".)

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366