Re: IMAPS and/or openssl problem

>>         telnet <myserver> 993
>> I just get
>>         Trying <server IP address>
>> and nothing further, until I type ctrl-C.

> Check /var/log/messages to see if anything is logged.  The behavior of
> telnet sounds like the behavior of openssl.  It's probably not the

No, he doesn't even get a tcp connection established.  If I telnet to my
IMAP server I see

telnet 192.168.0.xx 993
Trying 192.168.0.xx...
Connected to 192.168.0.xx.
Escape character is '^]'.

I would first confirm that something is still listening on your external
network interface on 993.

Why not tcpdump it over your ssh session to the server while you try to
connect and see what you can see.

Another more exotic workaround would be, on your local machine

ssh root@myserver -N -L993:localhost:993

while this runs, 993 (the first number) on your local client box will
magically be an encrypted wormhole to port 993 on myserver.  Try running
that in one terminal session, and temporarily alter kmail to go look at
localhost for IMAP instead of myserver.

-Andy