Re: Having the computer turn off at a specified tempurature

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 18/08/07, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Can you monitor the fan speed and CPU temp with lmsensors? If so,
>> check in the different monitor programs for them. It might be better
>> to shut down when if the CPU fan stops, before the temp starts to
>> rise. Another possibility is that your BIOS may offer an option to
>> shut down, or generate an ACPI event when the temp passes the preset
>> alarm point. You can look into trapping this event and doing a
>> shutdown. I believe you can use acpid for this. (For this to work,
>> you should be able to check the temps in
>> /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/<something>/state. (going by memory here -
>> this machine does not support it.)
>
> Thanks, Mikkel. Nothing in /proc/acpi/thermal_zone, it's an empty
> directory. And the BIOS cannot, apparently, send ACPI signals to the
> OS, even though one of the BIOS options is "ACPI aware OS". I can
> choose yes, but then there is nothing else that I can configure.

It looks like lmsensors are your best hope. If that does not work,
then I think you are out of luck. If the system can not monitor the
temps/fan speeds, then there is nothing to initiate the shutdown. I
guess you could try and add external monitoring hardware, and feed
the status in through a serial/USB port. You can then use init to
shut down the system using the UPS code as an example. (Or just send
init the powerfail signal.)

One thing to be aware of is that once you overheat electronics, it
tends to be more temperature sensitive in the future. The damage
tends to be cumulative as well...

Mikkel