Re: Having the computer turn off at a specified tempurature

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Alright, I'm stumped. How does one configure a FC6 system (running
> KDE) to automatically shutdown if the CPU temp goes to high?
>
> I've just replaced the faulty fan on an AMD with a good Intel fan, but
> it does not sit well and it is liable to get stuck on the heatsink.
> I'd like the machine to shutdown rather than cook itself, as it did
> when the original fan went belly-up. I actually smelled it: that's how
> I knew something was wrong. The BIOS said it was at 108 degrees
> celsius! (AMD Duron 1.3 GHz).
>
> Dotan Cohen

Can you monitor the fan speed and CPU temp with lmsensors? If so,
check in the different monitor programs for them. It might be better
to shut down when if the CPU fan stops, before the temp starts to
rise. Another possibility is that your BIOS may offer an option to
shut down, or generate an ACPI event when the temp passes the preset
alarm point. You can look into trapping this event and doing a
shutdown. I believe you can use acpid for this. (For this to work,
you should be able to check the temps in
/proc/acpi/thermal_zone/<something>/state. (going by memory here -
this machine does not support it.)

Mikkel