Re: Having the computer turn off at a specified tempurature

On 18/08/07, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Alright, I'm stumped. How does one configure a FC6 system (running
> > KDE) to automatically shutdown if the CPU temp goes to high?
> >
> > I've just replaced the faulty fan on an AMD with a good Intel fan, but
> > it does not sit well and it is liable to get stuck on the heatsink.
> > I'd like the machine to shutdown rather than cook itself, as it did
> > when the original fan went belly-up. I actually smelled it: that's how
> > I knew something was wrong. The BIOS said it was at 108 degrees
> > celsius! (AMD Duron 1.3 GHz).
> >
> > Dotan Cohen
> >
> Can you monitor the fan speed and CPU temp with lmsensors? If so,
> check in the different monitor programs for them. It might be better
> to shut down when if the CPU fan stops, before the temp starts to
> rise. Another possibility is that your BIOS may offer an option to
> shut down, or generate an ACPI event when the temp passes the preset
> alarm point. You can look into trapping this event and doing a
> shutdown. I believe you can use acpid for this. (For this to work,
> you should be able to check the temps in
> /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/<something>/state. (going by memory here -
> this machine does not support it.)

Thanks, Mikkel. Nothing in /proc/acpi/thermal_zone, it's an empty
directory. And the BIOS cannot, apparently, send ACPI signals to the
OS, even though one of the BIOS options is "ACPI aware OS". I can
choose yes, but then there is nothing else that I can configure.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/
http://what-is-what.com/