Re: Having the computer turn off at a specified tempurature

On 18/08/07, David Krings <ramons@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Alright, I'm stumped. How does one configure a FC6 system (running
> > KDE) to automatically shutdown if the CPU temp goes to high?
> >
> > I've just replaced the faulty fan on an AMD with a good Intel fan, but
> > it does not sit well and it is liable to get stuck on the heatsink.
> > I'd like the machine to shutdown rather than cook itself, as it did
> > when the original fan went belly-up. I actually smelled it: that's how
> > I knew something was wrong. The BIOS said it was at 108 degrees
> > celsius! (AMD Duron 1.3 GHz).
>
> Isn't there anything in the BIOS that will shut down the system? I
> agree, having Linux do it is way more graceful, but software is easier
> to replace than hardware (can't backup a CPU to tape or disk).

No, nothing in the BIOS that will shut down the system for temp. The
best that I could find (and the only thing ACPI related) was disk
suspension on  input timeout. Very basic BIOS.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/
http://what-is-what.com/