Re: Producing pdf files with copyable text

On 8/13/07, Paul Smith <phhs80@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Perhaps because Liberation is a "non-standard" font, font exporters
> > > assume that recipients won't have it and thus export to graphics in
> > > order to guarantee formatting is preserved.
> >
> > It springs to mind that perhaps a PDF file, or the originating
> > Postscript file used to make a PDF file, can embed certain *types* of
> > fonts as fonts (e.g. Postscript fonts), but text using other types might
> > have to be incorporated as pre-rendered graphics.  Rather than it being
> > certain fonts, in themselves.
>
> Liberation Fonts can be embedded as copyable text in PDF files in F7.
> But it seems that the F7 mechanism of printing to a PS file is not
> right, as when printing to a PS from www.gmail,com, one gets with
> ps2pdf a PDF file with the following fonts:
>
> $ pdffonts gmail.pdf
> name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
> ------------------------------------ ------------ --- --- --- ---------
> WQDACH+Liberation_Sans.Bold.0.0.10b6c.9a62.Set0 Type 1C      yes yes
> no      13  0
> TAMSTW+Liberation_Sans.Regular.0.0.1b044.b87a.Set0 Type 1C      yes
> yes no      11  0
> GBGOAU+Nimbus_Roman_No9_L.Regular.0.0.23ec4.b59e.Set0 Type 1C      yes
> yes no       8  0
> $
>
> However, if one goes to OpenOffice to create a document only with
> Libeartion Fonts and then one exports the document to PDF, one gets a
> PDF with *copyable* text and with the Liberation Fonts embedded:
>
> $ pdffonts ooo.pdf
> name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
> ------------------------------------ ------------ --- --- --- ---------
> BAAAAA+LiberationSans                TrueType     yes yes yes     14  0
> CAAAAA+LiberationSans-Bold           TrueType     yes yes yes      9  0
> $

In addition, I would like to report that inside the PS file I see the
same fonts, i.e., I see

* Liberation_Sans.Bold.0.0.10b6c.9a62.Set0
* Liberation_Sans.Regular.0.0.1b044.b87a.Set0
* Nimbus_Roman_No9_L.Regular.0.0.23ec4.b59e.Set0

This means that F7 was not able of indicating

> BAAAAA+LiberationSans                TrueType     yes yes yes     14  0
> CAAAAA+LiberationSans-Bold           TrueType     yes yes yes      9  0

but OpenOffice was. I am suspecting that something is wrong with the
way F7 prints to a PS file, not indicating in the PS file the correct
fonts.

Paul