Re: F7 Kernel 2.6.22.1-33.fc7 USB stick

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Rahul Sundaram wrote:

I don't think the Fedora kernel developers ever try to "improve"
something like a WiFi module, anyway.
There has been a hell lot of misinformation in this thread but this one
takes it to a whole new level. Fedora/Red Hat developer John Linville
(http://people.redhat.com/linville/) is the upstream wireless subsystem
maintainer for the Linux kernel.

Sorry, but if they do actually try to improve on Linus' team in this area
I wish they wouldn't.

Being the upstream wireless subsystem maintainer means that John Linville is part of what you call "Linus team" (ie) all the wireless patches go through the sub system maintainer.

You should not extrapolate your personal experiences and declare that any specific patches not upstream yet doesn't improve something. The additional work is being done for a reason. Upstream kernel developers have left the distributions to stabilize on the code they provide in the 2.6 branch because of the large number of changes being committed. So shipping the vanilla kernel as it is not even recommended by many of them. Regardless of that it is likely that there will be a vanilla kernel as part of the Fedora repository for testing and feedback. See fedora-kernel list for details.

I'm not sure where one finds either of these -
presumably with the kernel source?
(I looked at the developer's URL you gave, but didn't find anything there.)

rpm -q --changelog <packagename>
http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/rpms/kernel/F-7/

Next time people, if you want to know something about development of Fedora ask, instead of assuming. I have even starting a whole new column in Fedora weekly news in part to avoid the ridiculous of misinformation being circulated.

Rahul