Re: Smart packages

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Bruno Wolff III wrote:
On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 10:56:55 -0600,
  Karl Larsen <k5di@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Rahul Sundaram wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:
Thinking about Ferdora 7 and 8 it appears when 8 is made available we will need to download another DVD full of software. I want to talk about a better way. Why must a person building a server get 4.7 GB of software when he wants just 750 MBytes of it?
There is no need to do. There is a network boot option with boot.iso image and there are Live images, both GNOME and KDE spins for x86 is around the size you want.

Rahul

As usual Rahul you didn't read what I wrote. You just throw out things that have zero to do with concept.
Rahul seemed to provide reasonable suggestions for the problems you are
asking about. Doing a network install solves the issue of downloading
stuff you don't need. Fedora has Live CD versions that you were asking about.

I think the problem is that Rahual didn't go into enough detail for
Karl. He didn't understand that you can just download the boot.iso
image, burn it to a CD, and use that to install the packages you
want from a network. (Or over the Internet.) If you do not walk Karl
through it step by step, then he doesn't understand what you are
saying, and makes comments like the one above. Now, if he would just
learn to ask when he doesn't understand part of the message, instead
of taking the position that the part he doesn't understand doesn't
matter...

We don't even want to get into doing a PXE boot and installing that way.

Mikkel

Not true. I understand what he was suggesting. Now lets run through this thought a bit. Lets say your wife just got interested in Linux. Would you tell her to d/l the boot disk and then without help select the things she wants in her desktop? That is stupid and will not work.

What she and all the other windows users want is to d/l one CD and load a working system. This is all you can expect from a normal windows user.

This is why you need to think like I did and make a real effort to do this. If not then Fedora will remain a Geek's toy.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User