Re: Smart packages

on 7/22/2007 12:52 PM, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Bruno Wolff III wrote:

>>> Rahul seemed to provide reasonable suggestions for the problems you are
>>> asking about. Doing a network install solves the issue of downloading
>>> stuff you don't need. Fedora has Live CD versions that you were asking about.
>>>
>> I think the problem is that Rahual didn't go into enough detail for
>> Karl. He didn't understand that you can just download the boot.iso
>> image, burn it to a CD, and use that to install the packages you
>> want from a network. (Or over the Internet.) If you do not walk Karl
>> through it step by step, then he doesn't understand what you are
>> saying, and makes comments like the one above. Now, if he would just
>> learn to ask when he doesn't understand part of the message, instead
>> of taking the position that the part he doesn't understand doesn't
>> matter...
>>
>> We don't even want to get into doing a PXE boot and installing that way.
>>
>> Mikkel
>>
> 	Not true. I understand what he was suggesting. Now lets run through
> this thought a bit. Lets say your wife just got interested in Linux.
> Would you tell her to d/l the boot disk and then without help select the
> things she wants in her desktop?  That is stupid and will not work.
>
> 	What she and all the other windows users want is to d/l one CD and load
> a working system. This is all you can expect from a normal windows user.
>
> 	This is why you need to think like I did and make a real effort to do
> this. If not then Fedora will remain a Geek's toy.

The two Live-CDs that were mentioned, one for KDE and one for GNOME, do
just that.

I can not say anything about the KDE Live-CD because as I have not seen
it. The GNOME Live-CD would have everything on it for a desktop type
install that I would want *except* Thunderbird. OpenOffice, and squid.
*If* I remember correctly. And those can be installed from sources on The
Internet. And, of course, I am excluding all of the 'third party site'
packages too.

In spite of what many think a Windows install does *not* come with much
software. Just the basic stuff. The rest, the fancy stuff if you will, has
to be added later.

--

  David