Re: Ubuntu download

on 7/22/2007 12:27 PM, Erik Hemdal wrote:
>> Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 10:59:23 -0600
>> From: Frank Cox <theatre@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Subject: Re: Ubuntu download
>> To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 09:46:18 -0700
>> David Boles <dgboles@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> I have to ask the obvious question. Why would you want to run a server OS
>>> on a laptop?
>> The obvious answer may be that even if you don't want RHEL specifically on your
>> laptop, by purchasing it with RHEL pre-installed you can be reasonably well
>> assured that all of the included hardware is supported under Linux of whatever
>> variety.  Therefore you could order with confidence and install any other Linux
>> flavour on it when you got the machine in the door.
>
> No.  I wouldn't like to pay a premium for Red Hat's commercial
> distribution and then not use it.  I teach courses using Red Hat's
> distribution, and I have to specify machines that students will use in
> our courses.
>
> I know I can obtain RHEL or any of its variants and install myself, and
> I do that now, but that's not as good as getting the whole package from
> one source.

By "whole package" you mean computer and the OS installed? If so I doubt
that Dell will install RHEL 5 for you. That is unless you bought a
warehouse full of computers.  ;-)

As for compatible hardware? I would start here:

redhat.com | Certified Hardware

https://hardware.redhat.com/hwcert/index.cgi

What my question was - Why a server OS on a laptop? - was thinking that
server OS's do not tend to make good desktop type installs.

So what you need is the server OS to teach administration tasks. Now that
makes sense.
--

  David