Re: New issues with Sending email: related to Domain name transfer?

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 05:08:36 -0500
"Steven P. Ulrick" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Many servers will not accept mail from customer IPs (dynamic or
> > static), as an anti-spam deterrent.  You may be forced to
> > "smarthost" through your ISP, or through some other mail service
> > that accepts mail from you.
> >
> > Smarthost stops your SMTP server from directly connecting to the
> > end-recipient's SMTP server (it looks up the MX record for their
> > domain, and uses the SMTP server in the answer), all mail goes
> > through a pre-configured SMTP server, instead.
>
> Hello, Tim
> Actually, I have been smarhosting through my internet provider for
> quite a while now.
>
> BUT, I have solved the problem.  All I needed to do was add the
> following to /etc/mail/access:
> Connect:192.168				 RELAY
>
> > >    ----- Transcript of session follows -----
> > > ... while talking to gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.:
> > > <<< 550-5.7.1 [74.134.123.247] The IP you're using to send email
> > > is not authorized <<< 550-5.7.1 to send email directly to our
> > > servers. Please use <<< 550 5.7.1 the SMTP relay at your service
> > > provider instead. i34si2353660wxd 554 5.0.0 Service unavailable
> > > ... while talking to mx2.hotmail.com.:
> >
> > It even spelt it out for you, above, explicity.
>
> What is odd about the above error is this: sometime after I received
> the Delivery Notification Failure notice that that text is quoted
> from, I started being able to send email from afolkey2.net email
> addresses IF and ONLY if I used mutt or pine.  This was Before I added
> Connect:192.168				 RELAY
> to /etc/mail/access
>
> Another point of clarification: for whatever reason, my email setup
> used to always "Just Work" the way that it was Before I added:
> "Connect:192.168				 RELAY"
> to /etc/mail/access
>
> Should it have worked?  That I don't know.  But, nonetheless, it did
> work.  I would like to know WHY I began to be unable to send email
> from afolkey2.net addresses at the exact same time my domain changed
> registrar's, but I will have to content myself with the fact that
> making the above quoted change to /etc/mail/access is what makes my
> afolkey2.net email work Again.
> Just to experiment, I tried the following test:
> 1. Remove "Connect:192.168				 RELAY"
> from /etc/mail/access
> 2. Attempt to send email from afolkey2.net.
> 3. Result? Failure
> 4. Put "Connect:192.168				 RELAY" back
> into /etc/mail/access
> 5. Attempt to send the same email again.  We are talking with no steps
> other than clicking "Send" again.
> 6. Result? Success!
>
> Anyway, Like I said, I can't explain WHY my email setup used to work
> perfectly.  I just know that it did.  I can't even explain why it
> stopped working.  I just know that it did :).
>
> Steven P. Ulrick

Hello, Everyone
This problem was ALMOST completely fixed by adding
"Connect:192.168				 RELAY" back
into /etc/mail/access

But, I am no longer able to send afolkey2.net email using aliases, such
as "lists-fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxx"  But I CAN send email from afolkey2.net
email address that have actual user accounts, hence
"steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx" being the sender of this message.  I subscribed to
this list under that address just to see if something was choking on
aliases...

Now I am off again to the Sendmail FAQ and Google to see what I can
find.

Steven P. Ulrick

--
 05:09:36 up 1 day,  8:14,  0 users,  load average: 0.57, 0.66, 0.47