Re: New issues with Sending email: related to Domain name transfer?

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 13:09:59 +0930
Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

Hello, Tim
Actually, I have been smarhosting through my internet provider for
quite a while now.

BUT, I have solved the problem.  All I needed to do was add the
following to /etc/mail/access:
Connect:192.168				 RELAY

> >    ----- Transcript of session follows -----
> > ... while talking to gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.:
> > <<< 550-5.7.1 [74.134.123.247] The IP you're using to send email is
> > not authorized <<< 550-5.7.1 to send email directly to our servers.
> > Please use <<< 550 5.7.1 the SMTP relay at your service provider
> > instead. i34si2353660wxd 554 5.0.0 Service unavailable
> > ... while talking to mx2.hotmail.com.:
>
> It even spelt it out for you, above, explicity.

What is odd about the above error is this: sometime after I received
the Delivery Notification Failure notice that that text is quoted from,
I started being able to send email from afolkey2.net email addresses IF
and ONLY if I used mutt or pine.  This was Before I added
Connect:192.168				 RELAY
to /etc/mail/access

Another point of clarification: for whatever reason, my email setup
used to always "Just Work" the way that it was Before I added:
"Connect:192.168				 RELAY"
to /etc/mail/access

Should it have worked?  That I don't know.  But, nonetheless, it did
work.  I would like to know WHY I began to be unable to send email from
afolkey2.net addresses at the exact same time my domain changed
registrar's, but I will have to content myself with the fact that
making the above quoted change to /etc/mail/access is what makes my
afolkey2.net email work Again.
Just to experiment, I tried the following test:
1. Remove "Connect:192.168				 RELAY"
from /etc/mail/access
2. Attempt to send email from afolkey2.net.
3. Result? Failure
4. Put "Connect:192.168				 RELAY" back
into /etc/mail/access
5. Attempt to send the same email again.  We are talking with no steps
other than clicking "Send" again.
6. Result? Success!

Anyway, Like I said, I can't explain WHY my email setup used to work
perfectly.  I just know that it did.  I can't even explain why it
stopped working.  I just know that it did :).

Steven P. Ulrick

--
 04:33:20 up 1 day,  7:38,  0 users,  load average: 0.19, 0.30, 0.24

--
 05:08:33 up 1 day,  8:13,  0 users,  load average: 0.41, 0.66, 0.46