Re: Adobe Acrobat

Chris Jones wrote:
So, as I said, what do yo get it you attempt to start the app from the
command line. I.e. type

 > acroread

?????

OK, so not really expecting you to actually do this yourself... I thought I would see for myself.

So, I installed the acroread rpm from here

ftp://ftp.uib.no/pub/Linux/uib/fedora/5/i386/AdobeReader_enu-7.0.9-1.i386.rpm

and that went fine. However, when I ran
 > acroread

I got endless messages of the form "expr: syntax error"

Had you done this yourself, then the web site with Frank Cox told you would have explained the solution to you. (Alternatively, googling for "acroread expr: syntax error" took me to a link that explained the error and gave a solution in the very first link....)

Look at

http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Fedora_Core_6_-_Troubleshooting

making the change to line 418 fixed this problem, and acroread runs just fine now.

Moral of this story - Don't just post "It doesn't work" messages. Try and debug what isn't working. Don't just run an app from the gui - start it from the command line as this gives you much more useful feedback.

yours  Chris

What was wrong with the Don't work message? I got yours saying don't send those, and the next message was from Frank with the web page where I got the info to mofify the code and I do know how to do that. But it's odd you need to re-write code to get it to run on FC6.
   Anyhow I know have it running. So the don't work message worked.

Karl