Re: Volume Control use

on 6/22/2007 5:54 PM, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-06-22 at 16:16 -0700, David Boles wrote:
>> on 6/22/2007 3:50 PM, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>
>>> I know that.  It's still a bug, and your claim that Karl is
>>> hallucinating is still incorrect.  And gnome-volume-manager is obviously
>>> not gnome-volume-control (though Karl still seems confused on that
>>> point).  There is no package called gnome-volume-control, but there is a
>>> program called gnome-volume-control and it's in the package gnome-media.
>>> And nothing in my message or the message I replied to made any reference
>>> whatsoever to gnome-volume-manager.
>>
>> You are correct sir in all that you say. And as I have tried to explain to
>> Karl I don't have the problem that you two have. Never have had it. Works
>> today. I am checking and un-checking and moving the sliders as I type
>> this, well when I stop typing this, and the music that is playing starts
>> and stops and the volume rises and falls as I do.
>>
>> The last real problem I have had with Linux was getting a 'Zip Drive' to
>> work. And that was a long, long time ago. Probably seven or eight years
>> ago. Maybe I'm just lucky? Or don't have any strange hardware?
>
> Or something.  So Karl and I have different hardware and similar
> problems, but another machine I have at home with  FC6 and a SB Live!
> shows a normal volume control.  I'm going to install F7 on that this
> weekend, so we'll see.  And the latest incarnation of the volume control
> on my laptop actually did let me set the mic level enough to be able to
> Skype.
>
> It's just kind of unhelpful to suggest (as you seemed to) that just
> because you don't have the problem, it doesn't exist.  There are more
> combinations of hardware and software and versions in heaven and earth
> than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

I never said that just because I did not have this problem that it does
not exist. This, fedora-usrs, is a list were people come with problems. So
what would you expect here. People writing and saying - Great job - no
problems here?

Here is a page with some numbers for you to look at in a free moment.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Statistics

If you look at them it will see that the number is much greater that the
two of you.

This is what the development branch, Rawhide, does. Changes, enhancements,
new features, new versions do not always, usually don't work actually,
work right at first. The test releases that Fedora produces are to try and
ring out the final problems. Fresh installs of a system can do that. That
is if enough people try. Does it work? Surprisingly well. But there is
always someone, somewhere, with some device or piece of hardware that
seems to fail. Not everything  works out-of-the-box for all. But I do
think that the people that work on Fedora do a very good job at it.

It would help a lot if users would actually read the Release Notes, the
FAQ's and the known problems with solutions information *before* they just
install. Honestly and truly. Think about that.

No one ever, that I can recall, said that they would not help.

BTW - You should tell Karl that he needs to fix is Bugzilla report. It is
aimed at the wrong package. The maintainer ot the 'wrong package' will
tell him eventually but it would be brought to the attention of the
correct person more quickly.
--

  David