Volume Control use

If you have either F7 or F6 with all the updates you will have a Volume Control that is broken. When you click it up if your in the Alsa mixer mode you on the right side a Microphone listed on the Playback tab. This is wrong and if you look at the device below the Mike it shows a speaker!

To use this bad system first turn up the Master and Master Mono to the top and set Mike to the top. Now click File and select the TriTech OSS Mixer. On Playback this has just one Speaker on playback and that should be at max. Now click on the Capture tab. Here you will see 4 devices. Volume will have the little mike symbol with a read X on it. Line in I reset to 3/4 up. Microphone is clear up but there is a red X on the little mike so it can't work. Click on the red X on the mike and all the other things get red X on their mikes. This might make sense but I really don't care :-!

OK the Volume Control will control your playback on the Alsa Mixer and the mike gain is on the OSS mixer. The next problem is, if you turn off your computer then the next time you use Volume Control it will need all this done again. But we can make this setting default by doing this.

Well the Upgrade erased the thing you use to make this the default. As root you typed #alactl restore but an Update has removed this capability.

So you must reset Volume Control each time you use it on an Updated FC6 and any F7.

Karl Larsen