Re: How to update Windows DNS server with Linux DHCP client hostname?

I haven't run DNS+DHCP where Windows was the server, mine's the other
way around.  Perhaps you should post your /etc/dhclient-*.conf script.

A client can send and request various information, much of what's
possible is optional.  Some of it contrary (e.g. with Windows, I found
ticking the register with DNS option caused it to not attempt to do,
unticking caused it to do so).

Right now, it looks like:

send fqdn.fqdn "engr.ourdomain.local.";
send fqdn.encoded off;
send fqdn.server-udpate off;

I've tried all 4 combinations of off and on for the "encoded" and
"server-update" options.

Currently, my /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0 has the
DHCP_HOSTNAME=... line commented out, hence the lack of a "send
hostname" command above.  Again, I've tried fully qualified
domainnames (with and without the trailing period) and the short name
("engr") for both the DHCP_HOSTNAME and for the "fqdn.fqdn" option.

Right now, I'm planning on grabbing the sources for dhclient, adding
some debug statements, and trying to learn what's going on.

--wpd