How to update Windows DNS server with Linux DHCP client hostname?

OK, I'm stuck.

I have an environment in which the DHCP and DNS servers are hosted by
a Windows PC somewhere in a closet.  (They may even be the same PC.)
I have an FC6 DHCP client for whom I want to publish a hostname.  Up
to now, all of our FC6 boxes have gotten their IP info from the DHCP
server and nobody ever cared what IP address was assigned to what
machine.  Now I want to run a service on one of these clients, so I
want its hostname to show up in DNS.

However IT has our DHCP/DNS server(s) set up, I can ping windows
machines from windows machines by hostname.  I can ping windows
machines from Linux machines, again by hostname.  I just can't figure
out what knob to twist to tell my Linux machines to tell the DHCP/DNS
server about it's hostname so that I can ping it from other machines.

Any suggestions on where to look?

--wpd